MPP Baker's and community's advocacy successfully leads to TDSB decision keeping Buttonwood Hill Public School in public hands
Decision also a major milestone in the fight to save Silver Creek Public School
Dear friends in Etobicoke Centre,
On Wednesday, Feb. 8, the Toronto District School Board voted to refer one of its properties, Buttonwood Hill Public School, to the Toronto Lands Corporation for sale.
This is a positive step for the Buttonwood community, as it will:
- Allow the Toronto Catholic District School Board, which needs another school in our community, to make an offer on purchase the property;
- Keep the property in public hands for years to come and protect the services and green space for young children, students and families in the Buttonwood community;
- Keep the Learning Jungle where it is, as the Catholic Board has promised it will retain the daycare as a tenant; and
- Keep Leonardo Da Vinci Academy where is it until 2020, as the Catholic Board has committed to honouring their current lease.
In addition, this is a major boost to our efforts to save Silver Creek Public School. The referring Buttonwood to the Toronto Lands Corporation for sale will:
- Give the Catholic Board the certainty it needs to end its pursuit of the Silver Creek property and put together a formal offer for Buttonwood; and
- Allow the Government of Ontario to continue its discussions with TDSB on a transfer of the Silver Creek property that would protect the services provided to children with special needs at Silver Creek Pre-School and the Etobicoke Children’s Centre.
- After the Toronto Lands Corporation circulates the property, the Toronto Catholic District School Board must make a formal offer for the Buttonwood Property.
- The Government of Ontario and the TDSB must negotiate a transfer of the Silver Creek property from the public school board to the province.
I welcome your feedback on this issue. If you have any comments or questions, please contact my office at 416-234-2800 or email@example.com.
Yvan Baker, MPP for Etobicoke Centre